- Lit Fic (648), Still Unread (209), Really Great Book (173), Poetry (165), Bio (158), Rus (157), Hist (145), Movie (137), Lit Crit (128), China (128), Phil (89), Budd (71), Series (62), Let (60), Kindle (52), Art (37), Drama (33), Ling (31), NYRB (27), NDP (25), Trav (22), Pali Canon (15), Mahayana Sutra (13), Dao (13), WW2 (9), Mus (8), Music (7), BPE (7), Bus (7), toilet paper (6), Complete Works (5), Butoh (4), Cook (4), (4), Soc (2), Psy (1)
- Nuvola delle etichette, Nuvola degli autori, Specchio delle etichette
- And Other Stories, BBC Radio 3 Listeners, Bully's Tavern, Club Read 2013, Happy Heathens, I became a fabulous opera, Infinite Jesters, Le Salon Littéraire du Peuple pour le Peuple, Literary Centennials, Queer Nation, Roberto Arlt and River Boat Books, The Chapel of the Abyss, The Diogenes Club, The Hashish Club, The Hellfire Club, The Underground, Tropic of Ideas
- Dec 8, 2006
- Nome vero
- What is reality?
- Informazione su di me
- "No matter how much a man may study, reflect and meditate on all the books in the world, he is nothing more than a minor scribe unless he has read the great book."
I am a reader in search of the great book, a minor scribe.
True criticism is a search for beauty and truth and an announcement of them.
"The First Night
Night falls, soothing to lascivious old men
My cat, Murr, hunched like some heraldic sphinx,
Uneasily surveys, from his fantastic eyeball
The gradual ascent of the chlorotic moon.
The hour of children’s prayers, when whoring Paris
Hurls on to the pavement of every boulevard
Her cold-breasted girls, who wander with searching
Animal eyes under the pale street lights.
With my cat, Murr, I meditate at my window
I think of the newborn everywhere;
I think of the dead who were buried today.
I imagine myself within the cemetery,
Entering the tombs, going in place
Of those who will spend their first night there."
"Books became the first and only reality, whereas reality itself was regarded as either nonsense or nuisance. Compared to others, we were ostensibly flunking or faking our lives. But, come to think of it, existence which ignores the standards professed in literature is inferior and unworthy of effort."
Joseph Brodsky 'Less than One'
"Forgive us literature, forgive us our transgressions, as we forgive yours."
Dostoevsky 'Petersburg Chronicles'
"Culture is the best that has been thought and known in the world."
"What's poetry, if it's worth its salt
but a phrase men can pass from hand to mouth?
From hand to mouth, across the centuries,
the bread that lasts when systems have decayed..."
Derek Walcott 'The Forests of Europe'
I am a cat with a catty sense of play. However, my intentions are always good so assume the best. A knowledge of Hoffmann helps.
To acknowledge a fake as fake contributes only to the triumph of accountants.
- Pagina principale
- In lettura da parte di
Gli iscritti hanno fatto di recente:
Connessioni ad altri utenti
- Biblioteca interessante
- amaranthic, aquaticus, beschrich, cwc790411, dcozy, dmsteyn, DuneSherban, dustinfr, edwinbcn, euqubud, featherbear, funkendub, isabelle612, jcbrunner, JimmyChanga, jordantaylor, Katzenjammer, languagehat, LSPopovich, mambo_taxi, mandojoe, marieke54, Medellia, Myriades, Nicole_VanK, nyrbclassics, paradoxosalpha, Pepys, PeterKein, Pummzie, Quixada, rolandperkins, Sutpen, Torikton, Tuirgin, Urthona, VivalaErin, zenomax
Questo sito utilizza i cookies per fornire i nostri servizi, per migliorare le prestazioni, per analisi, e (per gli utenti che accedono senza fare login) per la pubblicità. Usando LibraryThing confermi di aver letto e capito le nostre condizioni di servizio e la politica sulla privacy. Il tuo uso del sito e dei servizi è soggetto a tali politiche e condizioni.