- Tutte le collezioni (12,311), FREE Public Domain : Use Calibre, Kobo, Nook (5,645), FREE ©'d E-Books (1,175), E-Books (7,336), Fiction (1,729), Non-Fiction (2,487), La tua biblioteca (953), ARC: Advance Reading Copy (19), Loaner (53), Favorites (897), Award Winners, Nominees & Classics (1,450), Bestsellers (277), Lista dei desideri (127), R future (157), R1 (37), R2 (13), R'd (203), N/A; Ck Later (110), In my Dreams (189), WL. PD (15), WL. ©Oldies (171), WL. HC (149), ART Books (233), Maryland (98), Ireland (303), Humor (934), Juv / YA (2,821), Childhood Memories (32), Picture Books (1,749), Illus Books (Some Illos) (1,743), Anthologies & Collections (1,787), FairyTales, FolkTales, FolkLore (1,130), Sci-Fi / Fantasy (1,720), Mystery (753), DIY: How To (246), Holiday Books (309), Movies :-) (42), Reference (58), For Good Kids ! (606), Gifted/Given Away (992), Donated: Bks for Africa.org (373), Donated: Good Will (851), TRASH BIN (42)
- KidLit (3,118), JF (3,038), Picture Book (2,326), Fantasy (1,823), SFF (1,501), Adventure (1,197), Favorite Illustrator (1,096), Award (1,059), YA (1,045), Series (984), NF (971), Fiction (954), Humor (941), Amzn Free (891), Mystery (845), FairyTales & FolkLore (827), Magic (781), Gifted Out (684), Favorite (679), Classic (635), F (574), USA Lit (486), Poetry (485), HF (481), Poems (478), Verse (470), FP (432), Suspense (431), Short Stories (430), Vintage Art (429), Romance (424), Animal Stories (417), FolkLore & FolkTales (404), BritLit (394), Horror (381), England (378), All Ages (355), Holidays (351), Collection (347), Fairies (328), Faerie (323), Crime (323), Fey (322), Thriller (318), Fairy (306), Action (265), Murder (264), Family (254), ART (235), Friendship (221), Legends & Myths (217), HX (206), Anthology (202), Friends (198), Boy (178), Cookbook (176), Christmas (171), Contemporary (167), Public Domain (165), Survival (161), Quest (159), Cookery (156), Urban Fantasy (154), Rhymes (152), GB (149), Witches (147), Paranormal (147), Dystopia (144), Short Story (144), Recipes (142), Supernatural (136), Surreal (134), Coming of Age (133), Illustrated (131), 2014 (131), BIO (130), Girl (125), Detective (124), USA (122), Ireland (122), 2015 (121), 2016 (121), Animals (116), Little Golden Book (116), LGB (115), Archive.org (113), Compilation (113), Stand Alone (112), Halloween (109), Ghosts (109), 2017 (107), Satire (105), Nursery Rhymes (104), Free E-Book (104), Interactive (103), Indie (103), MerFolk (102), Sea People (101), Teen (100), Cozy Mystery (100), Pop-Up (99), Sirens (98), MerMaids (96), Orphans (96), London (96), Love (96), Juvenile (95), 2013 (93), Nature (92), FaeArt (91), How To (89), Activity Book (88), Dogs (88), Best Seller (88), Gutenberg.org (87), Alt-Worlds (86), Reference (85), Wishlist (85), 19th Century (84), Other Worlds (84), Sci-Fi (83), Medieval (83), Beautiful Art (83), Growing Up (81), Teens (80), Siblings (80), 2018 (80), 2019 (79), Irish (79), Children (78), 2012 (78), Transformation (78), Music (76), Kittens (76), 2003 (75), Wizards (74), Small Town (74), 2004 (74), Princess (74), Mouse (73), Adorable Art (73), Cats (72), Copyrighted (72), Favorite Author (72), Omnibus (72), Kitties (71), Amateur Sleuth (70), HCA (70), Time Travel (70), DIY (70), Journey (69), Demons (69), War (69), Vampires (68), Monsters (68), Fables (68), Brothers Grimm (68), Europe (68), Cat (67), Science (67), Customs (66), Tween (66), European (66), Mother Goose (66), Hans Christian Andersen (65), Sisters (64), Philosophy (64), 2005 (63), Winter (63), Abridged (62), Memoir (62), Denmark (62), Travel (62), Golden Age of Illustration (61), 2011 (61), Travels (60), Exquisite Art (60), Social Commentary (60), Mice (59), Culture (59), ChickLit (59), 20th Century (58), 2006 (58), Courage (58), WWII (58), Post Apocalypse (58), Social Life (58), Relationships (57), Bedtime Stories (57), Religion (55), Elves (55), Gothic (55), Heroine (55), Intrigues (55), 2007 (54), Death (54), Garden (54), Marriage (53), India (53), 2020 (53), Australian Lit (52), Novella (52), Politics (52), Prince (51), St. Patrick's Day (51), Irish Lit (51), Dragons (51), Insects (50), Ghost (50), Bunny (50), Rabbits (49), Outstanding! (49), Illus Various Vintage (48), Autobiography (48), Mother (48), Gardens (47), Humans (47), 2002 (46), Dragon (46), Woods (46), Imagination (46), Magical Realism (45), Cooking (45), Canadian Lit (45), School (45), Essays (45), MerArt (45), Pirates (44), 2009 (44), Middle Ages (44), Pet (43), California (43), Royalty (43), Hero (43), Bunnies (43), 1998 (42), Songs (42), Post-Apocalypse (42), Quotations (42), Scary (41), Maryland (41), Guide (41), 2010 (41), Grandmother (41), Poverty (40), Rescue (40), Father (40), Self-Help (40), 2008 (40), Scot Lit (40), Private Investigator (40), Allegory (39), Manners (39), Activities (39), Biography (39), Easy Reader (39), Identity (39), Adapted (39), Racism (39), Tweens (38), Islands (38), New York City (38), Fantasy Art (38), Novel (38), Victorian (38), Space Opera (38), Comic Book (38), DVD (38), Inspirational (38), Farm (37), Violence (37), Illus Hague-M (37), Italy (37), Sister (37), 1999 (37), Memoirs (37), 1996 (36), Domestic Novel (36), Occult (36), Easter (36), Aliens (36), Illus Williams-G (36), Alice (35), Santa Claus (35), Lewis Carroll (35), 2000 (35), Comedy (35), Retold (35), Kidnapping (35), France (35), German (35), Disney (35), Illus Various (35), Canada (35), Ghost Story (35), Song (35), Family Life (34), 1995 (34), 2001 (34), Fine Art (34)
- Nuvola delle etichette, Nuvola degli autori, Specchio delle etichette
- Jan 29, 2008
- Nome vero
- La mia biblioteca
Over the years, I have found and restored over 1000 public domain book covers for my public domain books - thanks to Calibre. A hobby I thoroughly enjoyed. But now, thanks to Amzn, these restored books that I store on Calibre can no longer be read on my kindle because they are in a mobi format that Amzn deemed outdated.
Kindle only supports free public domain on its own no-privacy terms (so the unscrupulous Bezos can access & sell all your private data and sell it for yet another penny or two because ... Bezos is and always has been all about increasing his already obscene profits). I'm buying a KOBO for my public domain books and leaving the wifi off. Of course, I can always read my old stock of restored public domain books via the CALIBRE e-reader on my computer but, again, not on a handheld. If amzn kindle weren't the only way to enjoy public library books, I'd throw it away but ... the wonders of capitalism and monopolies, etc...
I never used to use LT for anything other than hard-copy books that I owned but do keeps gifted out collection (so I know not to give anyone repeats). And Free Public Domain Ebooks are their own category.
The best way to view my books here is by choosing the COVER (rather than LIST) format and +ing to the largest size available. Since the majority are picture books, yeah, you can judge a book by its cover :-) Other than those, search genre by tag (sf, history, art,...) and have at it...
I'm a book enjoyer rather than a book critic. So I rate my books by my personal enjoyment level. If a book's unrated it's either because I read it so long ago (or not so long ago) and have forgotten it necessitating a re-read or I simply haven't gotten around to reading it in the first place...
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
I’ve been on LT since 2008. My method of rating books has changed over the years. Currently, I rate by genre.
• 5 STAR: Shelf-worthy. I love this book! If a book is tops in its genre, I give it a 5. That in no way means I consider it a classic (though I tend to give my favorite classics a 5). But if you’re interested in the best of a particular genre or read cross-overs, these are the books I recommend unreservedly across the board to all readers.
• 4 STAR: Shelf-worthy. A great book that I recommend to readers of that genre though it may appeal to crossover readers too.
• 3 STAR: Books I would donate. A decent read to pass the time but wouldn’t re-read it. I don’t recommend it to anyone but only because it’s not memorable and doesn’t inspire me to look for more books by that particular author.
• 2 1/2 STAR : Books I would donate. Take it or leave it. Didn’t do a thing for me.
• 2 STAR : Books I would donate. Generally, a book has at least one redeeming trait for this rating: A novel idea or fresh concept (though probably poorly executed); No egregious spelling or grammar errors; Excellent Illustration even when paired with subpar text; etc. At least, it’s not offensive on a personal or spiritual level.
• 1 STAR: The worst books I’ve ever read; of no redeeming value. A book I would throw in the trash rather then keep in general circulation. Atrocious writing on a completely odious concept. The kind of books that make one create and keep a list of horrible authors to avoid in the future. Ugly books by deficient, damaged or amoral authors that portray, promote or glorify gratuitous brutish cruelty, depravity, hatred, violence, stereotypes, or any type of amoral, harmful or inhumane behaviors.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
I read mostly soft sci-fi and fantasy, some history, some trashy romances and any top of the line stuff from most genres. How's that for honest? But I love ART! So I collect beautifully illustrated and well-written (and sometimes not so well-written if the art is good enough) Children's Picture Books. And ART books! Pre-Raphaelite Art. Dutch Masters. Mannerism/Surrealism. Golden Age Illustration. Fantasy & Mythology in Art. . .
My house is a library. There are books in every room. My hope is, one day, that I will actually have all my books here on LT. One can dream :-)
Here on LT, I've tagged all my books by illustrator so, when one sorts by tag, all the books are sorted by illustrator. A prime consideration in picture books :-)
Mar, 2014 BOOK LISTS:
• Irish Picture Books for Children group: http://www.librarything.com/list/447/PitcherBooks/A-Childs-Book-Tour-of-Ireland
Best children's picture books: http://www.librarything.com/list/57/PitcherBooks/
• 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up (still incomplete)
• Best Young Adult Books:
- Informazione su di me
"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter... don't mind...
And those that mind... don't matter."
Enjoy free public domain ebooks, buy a KOBO or NOOK reader since Amzn kindle no longer accepts ebook downloads in any format from gutenberg.org, wikisource.org or archive.org ... Thought Amzn kindle used to ... until the latest kindle "2022 upgrade"... Pity the poor multi-billionaire AmazaMonster that must squeeze every penny out of the reading public ... Surely he needs your money more than you do...
Because cut-throat capitalism and exclusionary monopolies that should be illegal and probably are ... are the Bezos bread & butter or champagne & caviar.
Happily married for 36 years and hopefully another 36 years should we live so long :-)
Enjoy and collect well-written & well-illustrated children's books. Tend to favor colorful and more complex art (ex. Arlene Graston, Laurel Long, Kinuko Y. Craft, Susan Jeffers, Scott Gustafson) over cartoon-style but find there are invariably exceptions to be made (Harold & the Purple Crayon for one :-)
Between the public library (for copyrighted works) & all the wonderful sites for public domain book downloads - I am in book nirvana still!
E-Readers don't even need a kobo, nook or kindle. Highly recommend the FREE CALIBRE e-book app. It is an excellent quality reading app. Open source e-book library manager for Linux, Macintosh and Windows platforms. Features include e-book conversion, sync to e-book reader devices... http://calibre-ebook.com/
FREE E-BOOK DOWNLOAD SITES:
GUTENBERG.org is the origin for most of the human and well-edited FREE kindle editions online. Scam sites will ask for money for the hard work and titles which Gutenberg volunteers provide free. ARCHIVE.org provides FREE e-pub and pdf editions of titles also (easily readable with the Free CALIBRE-ebook.com app]. Project Gutenberg is a great organization. They will never ask you for money before allowing you to download their books, but voluntary donations are welcome.
Only SCAM SITES & CON ARTISTS will ask for money for the hard work and e-book titles which the Gutenberg volunteers provide free. Their latest bs? "You're paying for the ability to wi-fi your download." Really? So these con artists who steal Gutenberg's hard work then re-post what should be FREE e-books for sale .... rationalize it because they provide wi-fi downloads? Now that is a load of nonsense. Do you think these scammers are donating all the money back to the non-profit Gutenberg? I don't think so.
Please don't patronize e-thieves or con artists. Many of these sellers are on amzn.com Don't let them gull you. How hard is it to plug your e-reader into your computer and do a manual download? Pretty damn easy. If you don't know how to do this, ask one of your grandkids to show you how.
There are still some free pre-1927 public domain kindle books on amzn.com. [Type in 'free' and 'public domain' in the search bar.] Of course, they are proprietary formats does not allow you to open them in Calibre. Because cut-throat capitalism and exclusionary monopolies that should be illegal and probably are ... are bezos next space ride.
Some current authors make their copyrighted e-books available free on Amzn and other sites also. [I would assume as a form of advertising and/or as a loss leader for a book series. Make sure to review their books as a thank you.]
ManyBooks.net offers Gutenberg's books in a different formatting. If the book you downloaded from them doesn't work for you, maybe you can get a different copy of the same book there.
FeedBooks.com/publicdomain offers Gutenberg's books in a different formatting. It also offers ebooks for sale. If the book you downloaded from Gutenberg doesn't work for you, maybe you can get a different copy of the same book there.
Make sure to read Banned Books! Check 'em out. Many available at the above free ebook sites and your local library...
- Maryland, USA
- Autori preferiti
- Douglas Adams, Paul Adshead, Aesop, Saladin Ahmed, Mitch Albom, Hans Christian Andersen, Lucie Attwell, Julianna Baggott, Istvan Banyai, Antonia Barber, Shirley Barber, Cicely Mary Barker, Jill Barklem, J. M. Barrie, Marjolein Bastin, John Bauer, Fritz Baumgarten, Nicola Bayley, Josh Bazell, M. C. Beaton, Wladyslaw T. Benda, Alix Berenzy, Jody Bergsma, Elsa Beskow, Eleanor Vere Boyle, C.L. Bevill, Guy Billout, Autumn M. Birt, Holly Black, Ida Bohatta, Alan Bradley, Kimberly Brubaker Bradley, Jan Brett, Molly Brett, Katharine Mary Briggs, Anthony Browne, Ruth Brown, Quint Buchholz, Christopher Buckley, Octavia E. Butler, Smedley D. Butler, George Washington Cable, Errol Le Cain, Italo Calvino, M. R. Carey, James Christopher Carroll, Kristin Cashore, Becky Chambers, C. J. Cherryh, Ted Chiang, Cinda Williams Chima, Kay Chorao, Ernest Cline, Rene Cloke, Raúl Colón, Bruce Coville, Kinuko Craft, Rie Cramer, Walter Crane, Doreen Cronin, George Cruikshank, David Delamare, Jana DeLeon, Paul Delvaux, Erik Desmazieres, Andrew Diamond, Charles Dickens, Angel Dominguez, William Donahey, Tim Dorsey, Richard Doyle, Daniela Drescher, Andrej Dugin, Edmund Dulac, Jane Dyer, Cooper Edens, Wallace Edwards, Mary Engelbreit, M. C. Escher, Janet Evanovich, Jean-Henri Fabre, Eugene Field, Virgil Finlay, Fannie Flagg, Maxine Gadd, Neil Gaiman, Iassen Ghiuselev, May Gibbs, Yvonne Gilbert, Rob Gonsalves, John S. Goodall, Mother Goose, Edward Gorey, Deirdre Gould, Arlene Graston, Eulalie Osgood Grover, Johnny Gruelle, Scott Gustafson, Bessie P. Gutmann, Michael Hague, Jennie Harbour, Nick Harkaway, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Florence Parry Heide, Robert A. Heinlein, Racey Helps, Frank Herbert, Marilee Heyer, Robin Hobb, Hans Holbein, Heidi Holder, Billie Holiday, Jeremy Holmes, Jonathan L. Howard, Langston Hughes, Trina Schart Hyman, Roberto Innocenti, A. E. Jackson, A. J. Jacobs, A. J. Jacobs, Harriet A. Jacobs, Ellen Jareckie, Susan Jeffers, N. K. Jemisin, A. M. Jenkins, Darynda Jones, Rachel Joyce, William Joyce, Richard Kadrey, Jonas Karlsson, Herminie Templeton Kavanagh, Becky Kelly, Charles Kingsley, Barbara Kingsolver, Maggie Kneen, Dorothy P. Lathrop, Harper Lee, Madeleine L'Engle, C. S. Lewis, J. C. Leyendecker, Astrid Lindgren, Oleg Lipchenko, Gary A. Lippincott, Arnold Lobel, Laurel Long, Lisa Lutz, C. L. Lynch, Patricia Lynch, Jonathan Maberry, George MacDonald, Drew Magary, René Magritte, Henriette Willebeek Le Mair, Peg Maltby, Gabriel García Márquez, Bob Marsocci, Charles Mathes, Mercer Mayer, James McBride, James McBride, Anne McCaffrey, Peter McCarty, Lisa McCue, Seanan McGuire, Vonda N. McIntyre, Daniel Merriam, Lauren A. Mills, J S Morin, Claire North, Seumas O'Brien, Robyn Officer, Pixie O'Harris, Seumas O'Kelly, Daniel José Older, Daniel O'Malley, Rose O'Neill, Ida Rentoul Outhwaite, Arto Paasilinna, Fern Bisel Peat, Charles Perrault, Brian Pinkney, Nick Pirog, Maurice Pledger, Edgar Allan Poe, Daniel Polansky, Michael Poore, Beatrix Potter, Terry Pratchett, Margaret Evans Price, Niroot Puttapipat, Omar Rayyan, James Whitcomb Riley, Jordaina Sydney Robinson, W. Heath Robinson, Jon Ronson, Ann B. Ross, J. K. Rowling, Carrie Ryan, Ruth Sanderson, Charles Van Sandwyk, Andrzej Sapkowski, John Scalzi, Scheherazade, Adrienne Segur, William Shakespeare, Kory M. Shrum, Graeme Simsion, Michael Sowa, Jerry Spinelli, Gennady Spirin, Virginia Frances Sterrett, James Stevenson, Robert Louis Stevenson, Maggie Stiefvater, Theodor Storm, Charles Stross, Jonathan Swift, Lian Tanner, Audrey Tarrant, Margaret Tarrant, Laini Taylor, Mark Teague, Colin Thompson, Molly B. Thomson, David Thorne, George Tooker, Traditional Fairy Tales, Charles van Sandwyck, Beth Vardon, Remedios Varo, Vivian Vande Velde, Joan D. Vinge, Jeannette Walls, Maurice Walsh, Martha Wells, Else Wenz-Viëtor, Donald E. Westlake, Oscar Wilde, Eloise Wilkin, Garth Williams, N. D. Wilson, Sophie Windham, Milo Winter, Chris Wooding, Sulamith Wülfing, Charles Wysocki, Jacek Yerka, Jane Yolen, Tae-Eun Yoo, Hiltgunt Zassenhaus, Paul O. Zelinsky, Markus Zusak
- Liste preferite
Gli iscritti hanno fatto di recente:
Connessioni ad altri utenti
- Biblioteca interessante
- 2wonderY, Bookish59, daisybanana, Demetria, DeputyHeadmistress, ecpclio, FicusFan, flamencobird, geophile, http6592, Keeline, librisalexandria, malinablue, MaryKay1822, NYUGeorgiouLibrary, overthemoon, pageboy, rogue_librarian, schnibble, skullduggery, Tasses, Tid, toast_and_tea, Treeseed, welcomebooks